Monday, October 19, 2009

Exciting News!

Piestany, Slovakia

I recently sent emails to offices listed by the US Embassy with recommended dentists who speak english soliciting their help in finding more information about possible job opportunities for American trained dentists. I received back a few emails, not as many as I sent out, and arranged a meeting with Dr. Igor Cech at Dental Studio in Piestany. Piestany is a town located about 40 minutes or 50km East of Pezinok. Renowned for their thermal spas and treatment especially of arthritis, they have a lot of resorts and hotels. The Dental Studio is located on Spa Island which is the picture up top.
The office is extremely modern even more so than the dental school I attended and it was a brand new school. Everything is digital and they have a very large implant aspect to their practice doing over 800 implants a year. It is a general dentistry comprehensive office meaning they do most procedures, from fillings and cleanings to root canals and cosmetic. There are 3 other dentists working in the office. I was so impressed with his office, all of the staff, dentists, and hygienist speak fluent English. I will learn so much from them. I hate to admit my own bias but we all know the stereotypes surrounding European teeth;) My preconceptions, however, were all wrong, it is one of the most advanced offices I have ever stepped foot in. After touring the office and spending time speaking with Dr. Cech they offered me a part time position, most likely three days a week. All this week I will be observing the office, learning their systems, the nuts and bolts of how the practice operates and how I can fit in best.
In Slovakia there are two types of offices. Those that work for the public system which provides universal dental care to all Slovakian citizens and private offices that for the most part do not accept any form of insurance. The Dental Studio is one of the private offices. As I understand it a strong private insurance industry like we have in the states does not exist here you either pay out of pocket for private or nothing for public. I know very little at this point about the dental profession here but I am soon to learn a lot more and fast. So more information to come but I am extremely excited for the opportunity and grateful to the dentist for being so inviting and friendly.

1 comment:

  1. hello! I have just read your blog about your experience to the dental clinic from Piestany. I would like to know more because I also visited that clinic. How long did you work there, how was the team?

    ReplyDelete