Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Where No REALLY means Yes

I just had to share something that has made me smile every since I figured it out. In the Slovak language yes is ano[ah-no] and no is nie[knee]. Of course ano and nie were two of the first words we learned. Interestingly enough learning a word and recognizing it in audible conversation are two totally different concepts to master.

In the dental office I would often hear other dentists telling the assistants no no no when the interpreted body language led me to believe the dentist wanted them to continue whatever action with this no no no. Initially I thought maybe it is a cultural thing I don't understand yet, like maybe telling people no meant an exaggerated yes, a stretch I know but I felt too embarrassed to ask. That is until a couple days ago some one told me no no no. I am dense sometimes so it took a long 30 seconds for me to make the connection. No in slovak is short for yes. They leave out the ah in ano, it's like saying yea. I will give you an update when I start using no for yes but as of now I'm just trying to rewire my brain and wrap my head around the perceived anomaly of no means yes literally.

We are heading to Budapest, Hungary this weekend! I will post pics of the Hungarian adventure ASAP when we get back.

1 comment:

  1. Brianna! I just stumbled across this from your Facebook page. I knew you moved to Europe but I wasn't quite sure where, or why you moved there. But this is just wonderful, it sounds like you and Yemi are having a great time and learning a lot. I really enjoyed reading all of your posts and seeing pictures. It's incredible how different life is outside of the US but it sounds like you are really doing well and taking it all in. I can't wait to read more about your adventures.

    ~Katie Vilders

    ReplyDelete