Monday, January 18, 2010

Birthdays and Name Days

On Saturday at Yemi's game I sat next to someone celebrating their Name Day. I had never heard of Name Day up to this point. Turns out most countries in Europe celebrate this day to different extents. Name Day has it's origins in Catholicism like many traditions/holidays here. It began when people named after Catholic saints would celebrate the Saints day as represented on the Orthodox saints calendar. In Slovakia it has transformed into a day that is celebrated just like a birthday with presents and parties. I found the calendar with the names for the day listed for different countries online. I'm sure you can also buy a calendar that includes name days on it here.
I thought I would also mention something culturally different about celebrating birthdays in Europe vs America. In all countries that Yemi has lived in when someone is having a birthday they are responsible for brings food/cakes/drink to work or school to celebrate. I have been to several parties here where the person who's birthday it is pays the entire tab for the party goers. Definitely opposite from tradition in the states where people throw parties for you on your birthday. If it's your birthday then it's your treat in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment