Saturday, February 27, 2010

Buda Pest





About three weekends ago I took a little day trip to our southern neighbor Budapest with a tour that runs out of Piestany. I am finally going to give it a worth while blog. The tour itself was a C. Not at all what I had expected but I am still glad I went, I got a lot of cool historical information and it was a stress free experience. Just sit back and ride, plus it was really cheap and we love really cheap!

Budapest is the capital of Hungary. The city is separated in two by the Danube river. One side is Buda and the other Pest. Prague, Bratislava, Vienna and Budapest are the major cities of Eastern Europe and they are graded by the level of restoration that has occurred since the fall of communism. Vienna wins by a land slide and Budapest may be considered to some at the opposite end of that spectrum. I was told that in the last ten years it has made leaps and bounds in the restoration department. To me it seemed just as beautiful and authentic as Prague and Bratislava granted my trip was short.
The St. Stephens Basilica. Finished in the early 1900s this place took my breath away. So beautiful and ornate.
This is Heroes Square, recognizing the reigning of kings from the 9th century to the 18th.
This is a memorial in Heroes Square to an unknown Soviet soldier for liberating Hungary from the Germans during WWII.
This is the Budapest Opera House. Not a great picture but you can get an idea of the architecture.
This is their parliament. It is a replica of the London parliament.

I hope we can make it back their before I leave because it is an awesome city with so much to see!
Also shoot out to my three followers:) I see you Sammy! Thanks for the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment