Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Olomouc Christmas Market

Hot spiked punch, it's that time of year again!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Christmas markets are on my top ten favorite things about Europe.

These begin popping up in almost every medium to large town square in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Slovakia about four weeks out from Christmas day.

I blogged about the goods and fun to be had at the Vienna and Bratislava Christmas markets here last December. People say Vienna has the best and largest. It may be the largest but I find that every one I visit has it's own unique fare and flare which makes it equally as exciting as any other.

Here in Czech instead of gluhwein, they sell a hot spiked punch with fruit and almonds spooned in before servered. You can get medovina; the hot honey wine but it's not as common as in Slovakia. The punch is delicious so last night I took the opportunity to do as the locals and have a couple glasses with my friend Martina in Prostejov square! Such a great past time.

On Sunday Yemi and I went to Olomouc to check out their shops and food. I got some good pictures of what they offer, enjoy!


Mailbox for Letters to Santa Claus
We were so bundled up, I'm wearing leggings, jeans two pairs of socks
and three layers up top. Yemi has two pairs of sweatpants and we were
still freezing after about twenty minutes of walking around.

We ran into Yemi's assistant coach and he was eating this interesting plate of food
He explained it as a traditional Czech meal of 'blood sausage' but couldn't describe
it much beyond that. Yemi and I tried it, it has an interesting taste
but it's not for us....
So instead we had this plate of Klobasa with spicy mustard
and dilled vegetables it was good but difficult to eat outside when
it's less than 15 degrees. Our fingers and toes were freezing!

Look at the animals. So cute! Theres a llama, a sheep, a baby sheep, and a goat I think
all though I'm not officially sure about the distinction between goat/sheep.

Murals of St. Nicholas and the Devil
A little game where you catapult a beanie to try and knock
down the devil.

They have tons of stands selling varieties of pork meat. The freezing temps mean no refrigeration needed!
On the left in this picture is an ice rink they have set up.
Looks fun and reminds me of Rochester, MN when our dad
used to take us ice skating all the time!

I would try to coax Yemi out there but my luck he'd get hurt
and the whole team would be mad at me!

We enjoyed an awesome afternoon there but Yemi had to get to Prostejov for practice so no hot punch this round. We'll be back though!

No comments:

Post a Comment