Friday, November 20, 2009

Junior Rail Pass Plus

Last week I got my Junior Rail Pass, they cut you deal if your under 26 so I barely squeezed by. It gives discount on train fairs and since I take the train to work it's a great deal. Plus it gives discount at local book stores and other shops. Taking the train out here is a challenge at the best. The Slovakian train system is not what you think it would be if you are used to the Belgium and German train systems. The first couple times I took it I was totally lost. The trains are circa 1935, seriously this is where trains go to die. There is no electronic features on the train, meaning no displays of the next stop or final destination. There is no PA system, meaning there is no announcement of the next stop/station. You have to manually open the doors on all trains they don't just open at each stop, you have to crank the lever and wind them open. Also most stations do not have signs posted, so if you don't recognize the stop then you don't know what it is, not very foreigner friendly. I am used to them now, but at first it was stressful to say the least. The Iron Curtain on public transportation hasn't quite been lifted yet....

Tonight I am going with Yemi to Modra, a smaller town about 5 miles away. Another dentist in the office is playing with his band in a restaurant/wine cellar recently opened by a friend. We're excited because the place looks really cool from the website. Check is out with this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment