Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The Down Low on the Dental License



Long time, no post friends. I am back now and newly committed to updating! Let me catch you up on whats been going down in Central Europe.

After my last post I put all my resources into finding out the appearantly closely held secret of obtaining a Czech Dental License.

I dug out all of the intricacies of this endeavor and am now a wealth of information for any foreign trained dentist wishing to practice. My good friend Martina who is dentist here in Prostejov helped me beyond measure. Without her I do not think I would have been able to get any information because the bureaucracy is next to impossible to navigate without a native Czech speaker.

To obtain a license one must take a series of 2 tests. The first test covers all the same information covered on the American dental board exams but also includes a section on the Czech insurance system and Czech law.

After passing this test you work under the supervision of a licensed dentist for 5 months and complete 5 case studies. After 5 months the supervising dentist writes a letter to the ministry of health on your behalf and you can set up a date for the second test. The second test is an oral exam that must be conducted in Czech. At this time you will present one of your 5 case studies and answer a series of questions from a board of 6 dentists. If these questions are answered to their satisfaction then you pass and are granted a dental license.

The request to take the exam must be sent in with all of the paper work which includes a background check no older than 90 days and a translated copy of your diploma. The first test is offered in September and March.

Unfortunately I missed the cut off and will be leaving in April so practicing is out of the question. I have made some great contacts through my understanding of this process and will continue to observe and learn from my Czech colleagues!

Martina gave me a great tour of the Olomouc Dental School and Medical Campus. It is a great facility and reminds me so much of my time at CU.

Medical School auditorium for didactic classes.
Imagine sitting in those seats all day, no thanks!

Entrance to the lecture hall for the medical campus.


The building on the right is the Dental School's Pre-Doc Clinic
Such a cool location, right off the town square!
Pre-Docs hard at work!
This is one of the operatories in the building from the pic above.

No comments:

Post a Comment